Thursday, August 27, 2020

St. Augustine: Thou dwell in my memory

Thou remainest unchangeable over all, and yet has vouchsafed to dwell in my memory since I learnt Thee. And why seek I now in what place thereof Thou dwellest, as if there were places therein? Sure am I that in it Thou dwellest since I have remembered Thee, ever since I learnt Thee, when I call Thee to remembrance. Where then did I find Thee that I might learn Thee? For in my memory Thou wert not before I learnt Thee. Where then did I find Thee that I might learn Thee but in Thee above me?... Too late loved I thee, O Beauty so old, yet ever new! To late loved I Thee. And behold, Thou wert within, and I abroad, and there I searched for Thee. Thou wert with me, but I was not with Thee. Thou calledst, and shoutedst, burstedst my deafness. Thou flashedst, shonedst, and scatteredst my blindness. Thou breathedst odors, and I drew in breath, and panted for Thee. I tasted, and hungered and thirsted. Thou touchedst me, and I was on file for Thy peace.
+St. Augustine of Hippo, from Confessions, 10.36-38

No comments:

Post a Comment