Sunday, June 21, 2020

St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite: On Frequent Communion

I want to ask you this: If at the time of the Mystical Supper one of the Apostles said: "I do not want to receive Communion today," what would the Lord have said? Certainly, I believe that just as He said to Peter at the sacred washing of the feet, "If Is wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me" (John 13:8), He would likewise have said to one not wanting to receive Communion at the Divine Supper, "If thou dost not eat My body, and if thou dost not drink My blood, thou hast no part with Me."
Beloved, the Lord says this very same thing to us now at every Liturgy: "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of  Man... ye have no life in you" (John 6:53).
+St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite, from Concerning Frequent Communion of the Immaculate Mysteries of Christ, Epilogue

No comments:

Post a Comment