Sunday, November 29, 2020

St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite: On the Omnipresence of God


 Our pagan forefathers sought to teach men to avoid shameful deeds by asking them to imagine the presence of some important and revered person. If the imaginary presence of mortal men can avert one from doing evil when found alone, how much more can the true and abiding presence of the true and omnipresent and immortal God, who not only sees the external deeds of men but also knows the inner thoughts and feelings of the heart?
Most foolish then are those who are by themselves alone in an isolated or dark place and who have no self-respect and shame, nor remember the presence of God. The may say: "I am now in this darkness, who can see me?" God condemns such persons as being foolish. "Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him?... Do I not fill heaven and earth?" (Jer 23:24). "A man who breaks his marriage vows says to himself, 'Who sees me? Darkness surrounds me, and the walls hid me, and no one sees me. Why should I fear? The Most High will not take notice of my sins.' His fear is confined to the eyes of men, and he does not realize that the eyes of the Lord are ten times brighter than the sun" (Sir 23:18-19).
+St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite, from A Handbook of Spiritual Counsel, chapter 7, On Guarding the Sense of Touch

No comments:

Post a Comment